Give a name to the document. I normally call it”certReq” (Certificate Request) just so I know what it’s. It will overwrite any current file if it already exists.Click on the Open button to select the document (it will be generated if It Doesn’t already exist)Click Finish to complete the certification request process
Part 2 — Submitting and creating the SSL certification
- Open the certificate request file you created in Part 1
Select and copy the whole certification (Ctrl + A or Cmd + A) then Copy (Ctrl + C or Cmd + C) INCLUDING the –BEGIN NEW CERTIFICATE REQUEST—- (and finish ) parts.
- Visit www.trustico.co.uk
Click the Buy Cheap RapidSSL green button
- Choose the type of buy SSL certificate uk you need to dictate (In this instance I am ordered a typical Rapid SSL Certification for #9.99. Click on the green Order Today button.Screen Shot 2013-09-12 at 09.08.22
- Pick the length of time you want the certificate to be valid for. Unless you would like to go through this procedure every 12 months (which makes really time-consuming once you have tens or hundreds to purchase), its best to opt for the longest time-frame you are able.
In this circumstance, I am choosing 48 weeks, that can be just #35.96 in the time of writing.
Issuance Insurance: its your choice whether to keep this or not, and depends upon what you want. I flip Issuance Insurance off, in this case. If you believe that you are going to move servers, keep this on unless you know how to export certificates from one server to another (thats a different tutorial in the future).
Click Continue Enter all your contact info. Make sure you’ve got access to this email address provided at this stage you wont receive the certificate. (I have not entered all of my details from the screen-shot below )
Click on Continue Click on Submit newly created certificate signing request (I don’t know why they think every word Requires a capital letter, but anyhow )
Paste in your certification that you copied in Step 1
Click on Continue You’re requested to check the information. Click on Continue
- You have to confirm that the domain name is owned by you by getting an email. If you do not have a mail server setup, the easiest way to do this is to simply set up a email forwarder to your email address (quite Simple and free if you registered your domain name with www.123-reg.co.uk )
Pick the email address to ship the approver email to, and click on Continue
- Read the subscriber agreement (has anyone ever read these?) Click on Continue Of what you are ordering the confirmation details is revealed. Scroll down and click Continue
- Pay for the certification. I always use PayPal, which makes the certification issuing process quite fast indeed. No matter how you cover, it constantly says.
Thats the online (web) part done for now.
- Check your email (or the email address you choose at step 7 above if it doesnt forward to your own email address). You will have an email from firstname.lastname@example.org that asks you to visit a URL and Approve the certification. Click on the link and click I APPROVE
- Go get a cup of tea, coffee or coke, check your email, play with Minecraft or whatever takes your fancy. It takes about 10 minutes to your certification to be created and it’s then emailed to you.